Baseball Performance Podcast #1 – Steve Smith PT, LA Dodgers
In the first edition of the Baseball Performance Podcast, we had a chance to sit down with Steve Smith, Major League Physical Therapist of the Los Angeles Dodgers. It was really great to chat with Steve who brings a unique perspective on what it’s like to manage athletes at the Major League level. We hope to chat with him again soon!
In this episode we discuss:
- Jeff Passan’s new book, “The Arm”
- The Tommy John “epidemic”, and the culture of pain in baseball
- Why UCL injuries are complex, emergent phenomenon, and can’t be boiled down to “poor” mechanics
- Why there needs to be a bigger focus in baseball on building capacity and monitoring daily physical and mental readiness
- The importance of assessing before intervening
- The challenges faced when working at the Major League level
- The benefits of working in an interdisciplinary team
You can follow Steve Smith on Twitter @SteveSmithPT
And, you can keep up to date with the podcast and everything else that is going on at the Baseball Performance Group by following us on Twitter or Facebook, by signing up for our newsletter, or by clicking on the links below.
… Or listen below.